Michael Sterling has been photographing for most of his adult life. Following his move to the New Hampshire seacoast and with the evolution of digital photography, his involvement with photographic art and with the artist community has grown significantly. He is vice president of the New Hampshire Society of Photographic Artists. He is also a juried member of the New Hampshire Art Association and was on its board. He is a contributing photographer to The Sound Online, and has been published in magazines, newspapers and travel catalogs.
Sterling’s work is represented in the permanent collections of the Exeter, NH Chamber of Commerce and Optima Bank and Trust. His photographs were on display in Senator Jean Shaheen’s “Experience New Hampshire” exhibit in Washington, DC, as well as the Washington, DC and New Hampshire offices of U.S. Congresswoman Carol Shea-Porter.
His artistic interests, whether in Portsmouth, NH or around the world, include landscapes/seascapes/nature, cityscapes, architecture and textures. At the same time, Sterling enjoys creating ‘environmental portraits’, capturing the subject in a setting or pose that displays their personality and lifestyle.
The range of his photographic activities include portraits for small businesses and families, covering local events such as TEDx Piscataqua, the New Hampshire Film Festival, Fashions Night Out, and the Boston-Portsmouth Air Shows.
Michael studied photography at The New School and International Center for Photography, both in New York City, and the New Hampshire Institute of Art in Manchester, NH. He resides in Portsmouth, NH.
REPRESENTATIVE SHOWS and EXHIBITS
- New Hampshire Art Association (Portsmouth, NH)
--- Prescott Park art show
--- Parfitt photography show - Honorable Mention
--- Joan L. Dunfey Memorial show
- “Africa is Not a Country” (Portsmouth, NH)
- Lynn International Salon – Juror’s Award (Danvers, MA)
- George Glennie Memorial Nature Salon - Judge’s Choice Award (Danvers, MA)
- New Hampshire Society of Photographic Artists
--- Joint show with Exeter, UK (Concord, NH)
--- Annual members shows (Exeter, NH)
- Provident Bank (Hampton, NH)
- Maine-ly New Hampshire (Portsmouth, NH)
- State Library (Concord, NH)
- Main Street Art (Newfields, NH)
- “Experience New Hampshire” - (Senator Jeanne Shaheen, Washington, DC)
- Rivers Annual Photo Challenge - first place/best in show
- Buyer’s Brokers of the Seacoast (Portsmouth, NH)
---“Faces On Three Continents”
--- “Architecture and Patterns - Morocco, Turkey, India”
- "Water and Light" ( Portsmouth, NH)
- Portsmouth Herald
- The Sound and Sound Online
- Square magazine (major article)
- Brain Injury Association of New Hampshire newsletter (photographs and articles)
- Center for Wildlife (newsletters and calendars)
- The Gundalow Company (newsletters, publicity brochures, posters)
- US Sail & Power Squadron magazine (cover photograph)
- Mountain Travel Sobek (travel catalog)
- TEDx Piscataqua
- Boston-Portsmouth Air Shows
- Brain Injury Association of NH (‘Walk by the Sea”, annual Caregivers’ Conference)
- New Hampshire Film Festival
- Portsmouth Fashion’s Night Out